Sister Barron's Picture

Sister Barron's Picture

Monday, August 31, 2015

WEEK 30!!! Joana was baptized!

This is sweet Joana on her special day. <3
 I am standing by Jovem, a sweet friend of Joana. Then her Mom Minda, Joana and Marco, her Mom's boyfriend. A day of celebration!

 This is the last picture 
Sister McChesney and I took together.
Me with some stellar members of our ward here, The Pinto's on Sao Miguel. This is for me, so I can remember their dear faces for years to come.

My Letter Home:
BIG NEWS: Sister McChesney was transferred. 
=( She was needed in another area to be a SISTER TRAINING LEADER! (that means she will work with and train other sisters, helping them with everything from teaching techniques to emotional problems or other challenges. But it is actually really fun.) So far both my comps have left me and become STLs. Not sure if that says something about me. haha =) I will missss her though!

My new companion is named SISTER NEVES. (that means "snows" in Portuguese) she is BRAZILIAN! and she is a baptizing machine! I have seen her before, but never really spoken to her. She is really pretty. I still haven’t met her yet, she will come today. I am kinda nervous; basically this means I will be starting at least a 6 week English fast as her companion, she speaks no English but I am also so psyched. I know she is a really strong missionary. That is exactly what this area needs. Someone to come in and SHOCK the system! I know this transfer was so inspired. Our President of the mission, also Brazilian, is so inspired. 

I was given the request to write a "day in the life of a missionary" piece. Today I will do that.

Missionaries have a strict schedule. We wake up very early, do exercises, eat, and begin studies. We study thinking of our investigators (the people that we are teaching), what they need and what spiritual help we can offer. Then, at exactly 11 in the morning, we leave the house and only return for 1 hour of lunch and 1 hour of dinner. We work, talking to strangers and offering help to everyone and their dog. We knock doors and talk about Jesus. We are on our feet for hours. We walk miles everyday. We have to find our way around foreign streets using only maps and our broken Portuguese. Life is crazy. You are with your comp 24/7 whether you like them or not. You do not pick who is your companion, they are assigned to you. (I have been very lucky in this respect, I have LOVED mine!) You don't speak to your family, in order to stay more focused on the work. You get to email them for one hour per week on Mondays. You come to love the people you serve with all your heart, and when you least expect it you get a transfer, you change areas, change comps, change lives. And you keep going. It is like running a marathon. You can’t let up for one minute. But it also brings the most joy, the most fulfillment that I have experienced yet in my life. It is the weirdest, most awesome thing I have ever done. If I hadn’t gone on a mission I would have been way more clueless about how the rest of the church, and the rest of the world, really is. But because I am here, I am becoming the person that the Lord would have me be. My eyes have been opened, and I see my fellow men with more of a heavenly view. My goal is to see others the way their Savior sees them. To speak the way He would speak. To act as he would act. 

ALSO, you literally cannot go a day without someone giving you cake. I cannot figure out why. PLEASE NO MORE CAKE AHHHH FINE I'LL EAT IT! =8

These last two transfers have been such a huge learning experience for me. And I think the lesson that the Lord wanted to teach me was:

How to handle rejection.

It was really hard, everyone. Me and my comp were rejected a lot. As missionaries, we talk so much about our faith. We believe that if we have enough faith that baptisms will happen. Which is totally true. Our faith plays a huge role in the progress of the work.

But then why, when we were being strictly obedient and hard working, were we not seeing any fruits of our labors? 

It was so tough. People who I thought were so golden, with whom I had felt the spirit so strong, sent us packing. Lots of times not in the nicest ways. We had so many close calls. We were inviting people to be baptized more than in any other time of my mission. We would walk until we would collapse from exhaustion. Were our efforts being wasted?

I testify to all of you that the resounding answer is NO! 

Last Sunday, a member in our branch invited some of his friends to come to church with him. Minda, Marco, and Joana. Mother, boyfriend, and daughter. They were super nice people. So clean and normal looking. They came to sacrament meeting, and afterwards to Gospel Principles class. I was the one teaching. The Elders didn’t tell me I was teaching until literally 30 seconds before. But I mustered up all my little Portuguese words and spunkiness and dove in. It ended up being an awesome class about repentance. I testified and felt the spirit really strong. Minda told me later that they had planned to leave after that class, but something about what I said inspired her to stay. After church, I started talking to her and discovered that she was not a member! AND that they live in the area! Then, the heavens opened and every missionary’s dream was answered. 

The next day we went to visit them, we taught them about Joseph Smith, and then we invited them to be baptized. They said they would think about it. 

The next day we went back, with a member, and had an awesome spiritual experience. We marked Joana to be baptized. the. next. Sunday. 

AND SHE WAS BAPTISED YESTERDAY! It was the most wonderful, spiritual experience that I have had yet on my mission. Joana is such a sweet girl, 16 years old. She has had a really hard life, with a father that has left their family. But she knows that this church is true. I know it when I heard her say her first prayer. She asked her Heavenly Father for help on this new path that would be the most important of her whole life. When she left the waters of baptism, she cried in utter joy. I was so happy to be a part of her conversion, and I will continue to be for the rest of my life. 

The Lord never forgets us. Our efforts are never wasted. He has a greater hand in this work than we know. Never think that your efforts are unseen. He sees. He knows. And he will answer your prayers in His own time. It may not be in the moment or way you were expecting or hoping.......but it will come. 

I know not by what methods rare,
But this I know, God answers prayer.
I know that He has given His Word,
Which tells me prayer is always heard,
And will be answered, soon or late.
And so I pray and calmly wait.
I know not if the blessing sought
Will come in just the way I thought;
But leave my prayers with Him alone,
Whose will is wiser than my own,
Assured that He will grant my quest,
Or send some answer far more blest.

I love you all! Have a wonderful week!


Seester Barron