Sister Barron's Picture

Sister Barron's Picture

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Week 22 - Can I Do This? Yep!


This part of our area is in the tourist zone.


 Cute cafe in which we ate.

 My little notebook and Portuguese scripture case....yeah, I'm cool. =P


 The oceanside is beautiful.



 We and the Elders in our district. Elder Soares is from Mozambique and Elder Oliveira from Capo Verde. They are seriously so cool and have so much swag...


Countryside...this is called Lagoa de Fogo or FIRE LAKE! There are all these hot springs and cool stuff that steams here. We are definitely coming back here as tourists, there is so much fun stuff to do here that I didn't know existed until today. Alex drove us up to see all of this. He is the bomb. Soooo cool!

 This is Alex.

 The countryside with 100's of cows.



 Minha collega...We don't use the word "companion" in Portuguese because it is a romantic term. Instead we say "colleague".


 On the road. We are in NEVERLAND!!!





 Hi, my name is Sister Barron and I have a tan line.


 The inside of our chapel.

This is our church building. 
Interesting design huh.

My Letter Home:

Something I did, trying to show my faith to my Heavenly Father, was leave my English scriptures in Portugal on the continent. When missionaries are called to come to the Azores they can only take one bag. So I had to leave a majority of my books and heavy things (coat, boots, etc....not that those are needed haha) on the continent. I had a huge dilemma when I was thinking about whether or not I should bring my english scriptures. They where really heavy and I wanted really bad to get better at reading them in Portuguese. So I made a promise to Heavenly Father that I would trust him enough to leave them on the continent, and He would help me learn the language fast enough as to not suffer. Can I just say that it was a GREAT idea. At first, it was sooooo awful to read them in Portuguese. Wierd language, not anything like what we are actually speaking. (kinda like in English. How many times have you heard a person seriously say ´´and it came to pass...´´?) But now I can officially say that I LIKE it...it still is sometimes hard, but it is getting easier everyday. At first I could only stomach two or three verses but now I read chapters at a time. I am in 2 Nephi. Already passed the Isaiah part! (phew) But I am so grateful that I made that promise to my Heavenly Father and that He is fulfilling his part. I am learning this language like lightning! Everyone always comments on it. So grateful that I left those precious scriptures on the continent.

So every week we have a family night in the church and all the people without families can come and socialize. We have a short spiritual thought and always have food and play ping pong. We always have the most random group of people there, and always all MEN! We literally have twice the number of men in our branch than women! We need to baptize women! I don't know why but neither the elders or us have any women investigators. Weird! 

It is amazing how we all have friendships and really feel like a family. Such a weird group of people, and yet we all have something in common: our belief that this gospel is true. And we all have changed hearts! We bond over our love for the Savior and His infinite Atonement. They are all equal in Gods eyes! It really is amazing.