Sister Barron's Picture

Sister Barron's Picture

Monday, April 11, 2016

Week 62-The Tale of the Grumpy Appendix! By Quincey Barron

 Getting ready to have the surgery
 My Sailor Moon socks!

 I count my blessings this is not a video.
I adored my wonderful nurse at the hospital.

My Letter Home:

So Saturday night I woke up repeatedly because of a huge pain in my stomach. I was confused as to what it could be, so I just popped some Advil and tried to go back to sleep. Well, the pain continued for the next few days. I wasn’t able to go to church. It hurt to walk. It felt like someone was grabbing my stomach and squeezing it. It hurt to bend down and tie my shoes. Most of the time I just spent curled up on the floor. There even came a moment that President Tavares, our mission president, came to our house and gave me a blessing. Finally on Tuesday I went to go to see a doctor. The pain had plateaued, but it wasn’t going away. So we went to the doctor and as soon as she started poking around in my stomach I started crying because it hurt so bad. She decided I needed to get an ultrasound to look at it. Before I could go in they told me I needed to drink a whole liter of water in about 10 minutes. It was TORTURE. I never wanted to drink water again. Then I finally went in. She took a good look at my guts and said "Hey! You have appendicitis!" (After telling me that my ovaries are beautiful). Once she discovered this, it was all a huge blur. Everyone started freaking out, telling me that I needed to get surgery TODAY. There was a lot of stress, running around in a Portuguese hospital with only my comp to help me. I was in a lot of pain and I was sick of waiting and I was super hungry. We were frantically looking for a taxi then the Elders from the office finally came and picked us up to take us to another hospital where I would be operated on. I changed into a weird paper dress thingy and socks that went up to my thighs, Sailor Moon style. I climbed into bed and the Elders gave me a blessing and I got to talk to my parents on the phone! (Love you Mama and Daddy! See you guys on Mothers Day!) It was so fun. Finally they came to get me for the surgery and I remember rolling around on my bed everywhere, switching beds like 4 times in my awkward paper dress, and having a lot of women in hair nets prepping my body. They gave me an injection and BOOM I was out. I woke up in a very warm bed, very confused and in a lot of pain. Eventually they rolled me back into the room with my companion and Sister Tavares. She was so worried about me, it was so cute. Apparently during the surgery the missionaries of the Algarve did a group prayer for me. That is sweet. And a little embarrassing, but I thank them. 

Ãfter that I have been just hanging out in the mission home, waiting for my wounds to heal. Slowly but surely I will! They should be taking my stitches out on Wednesday.

That was my week!

Sister Barron

Ps. The church is true!