Sister Barron's Picture

Sister Barron's Picture

Monday, March 30, 2015

WEEK 8- Teensy Tiny Kisses With Strangers : *

Hey everyone! It's me again! Good ol Sister Barron. Good ol iron side! Portugal is in some good hands! Here's whats going on this week:

I have had a few funny escapades with old Portuguese men this week. I swear, I dont think we have stopped someone under 50 this week. This town is comprised of only old people! =D and us. But I love it. They are always really nice to the ´´lindas meninas´´ (pretty little girls). Haha!

I met two old men this week who were very proud of their pet birds. A ton of people have pet birds here, like little canaries or tiny little birds. You see a lot of people feeding pigeons on the street. These two old men LOVED their birds. This one man had a cute little cage in his front yard with like 10 little birds in it......but the other old man. Oh. My. Gosh. He had a whole ROOM in his house FULL of these little birds! It was the craziest thing I have ever seen! I'm so sad that I didn't have my camera! It was wild! Bird poop everywhere, like you wouldnt believe! It was so sososos fascinating

Another funny old man story: Okay, a funny thing about Portuguese people is that everyone kisses eachother. It's not a super big deal, it's just two little kisses on the cheek for a greeting. Its called ´´beijinhos´´ (directly translated ´´little kisses´´) It's different coming from an American perspective. Lol One night in our apartment my comp, Sister Jones, exclaimed ´´I hate beijinhos!´´ hahahaha it was so funny. Its always a very awkward experience. But don't worry Sister Jones´s mom (who I know reads these emails) she is a good girl and does her beijinhos to all the women in the ward. =) Anyways, we are expected to give these little kisses to all the women. Normally we would do it to the men too, but it is a mission rule that we are not allowed to give beijinhos to men. Haha phew. One day though we met this old man on the side of the highway and he asked us where we were from. When we told him we were from the Estados Unidos he exclaimed ´´I love the United States!!!´´ and grabbed my neck in an iron grip and tried to give me beijinhos. There was no way to get out. I tried to escape but it was too late! So I just sort of ducked my head and he kissed the top of my head. Dangnabbit! Jeez, haha I have to stay out of arms reach of these Portuguese! It was fine though, I did all I could. =D

I met this really cute old man again this week, his name is Lorentino and I think he could be the cutest patriarch. He always calls us his ´´amors´´ or ´´amigas´´ or ´´lindas meninas´´ or anything else endearing. He is wanting us to come teach him today, so wish me luck with that! The other day we passed by and he was out feeding his pigeons, and we had a short prayer with him. We prayed for his health and happiness and family, things we know he treasures. When the prayer ended we opened our eyes and he was standing there with teary eyes. He exclaimed ´´you brought me to tears!´´ and tried to give us beijinhos....we dodged it haha. But then he started to recite a poem. I couldnt understand everything he said, but it sounded very beautiful. The desires of his heart were on the table. Oh man, I know he would love the church. This is exactly what he is looking for to fill the hole in his heart. So many people want this, they want answers to their questions. I know he will find it here. 

And last but not least: bread. The bread here is so. good. The smell of freshly baked bread is always wafting over the city in the moming. This morning me and Sister Jones went on a run to go get pastries....haha it seemed a little backwards but we figure we walk about 10 miles a day so it should be okay lol. The pastry was sooooo good, flaky and buttery, straight out of the oven, and chocolate in the middle. Mmmmmm I could've eaten 10 of those babies. But I only ate one. Yay me!

Another funny thing: our shower is broken right now, it has been since we got here, and we shower using a hose-like thing. Its pretty ratchet. Showering takes much longer than it could. Gotta love the mission life! Hopefully we get that fixed soon. 

The language is.....going haha. Its kinda strange. I understand a lot of what people are saying, but I cannot respond. Its kinda like being gagged. And I love to talk, so sometimes it is very difficult. I want to converse and talk, but I just can't. I know, I know, its only my second week, I will learn, but I want to know pork´n´cheese now!! Haha I guess I'm learning a lesson in paciência. 

Sometimes its hard, especially the late hours when we are wandering out in the cold while everyone is eating dinner (they eat dinner from like 7-9, its crazy), but I am having a lot of fun. We always take a moment to laugh. We rejoice in our purpose. I know I am here to do the Lords work. I hope I can fullfill all of your expectations for me, because right now I don't feel super useful. I will be the first mime missionary! But I am super grateful to be here in Portugal. I wouldn't rather be anywhere else. Its so nice to have such a clear purpose in life, I don't think I have ever experienced this sort of feeling in my life. I know exactly what I have to do. I know exactly what the Lord wants of me. Now I just have to do it. Bring it on! 

I hope you all have a wonderful week! I love you all!~~Sister Barron