Sister Barron's Picture

Sister Barron's Picture

Monday, August 10, 2015

WEEK 27- This Work Is Bigger Then Me

This is for Boston and Sarger. I thought it was so funny! I guess "Wimpy Kid" doesn't translate. =P
 This is a picture within our area. Bright colors of blue and green everywhere. We love it. 
Surprise Sister Micky! I'm taking your picture!! Haha!
 What a normal part of our area looks like.
 Today for our Prep Day we rode a TRAIN! It was a little tourist train that just basically went on all the streets we walk on everyday. But for some reason, it was WAY more beautiful from the train! Maybe because we were stuffing our faces with ice cream. =P
 OK, so there are a BAJILLION of these Chinese stores all over Portugal and the Azores and they sometimes sell some pretty sketchy merchandise. We have bought multiple things that didn't end up working. =I We had to buy a speaker because we have an investigator marked for baptism that struggles with reading and we are going to down load the Book of Mormon for them and give them a speaker so that they can listen to it. Anyway, we bought this speaker at the Chinese store and MADE SURE before we left that it worked. =D When we got home, we read the description on the box and totally cracked up! It was SOSOSOSOSO funny! Why do they feel they don't have to have native English speakers to translate this stuff? Haha

The sun is rising, view off our balcony.

 I got these cool little rings for 50 cents and have been wearing them for about a month now. 
No green fingers! Yayyy!
I also wear a little gold CTR ring on my pinky that my Mom wore on her mission. <3
 We had our names put on our scripture cases. So cool! Hey! Missionaries get excited over stuff like this! Haha
Lunch...=0 This is not normal for me to have the heads attached, but I do like fish.
 Inside a beautiful Catholic chapel.
 So Monday is our Preparation day. A day that we can go grocery shopping, write home, do something fun, etc. It is a challenge because almost everything is CLOSED on Mondays. So this week we decided to go to a cemetery! Haha I got to practice my grave whispering skills! (I'm not kidding, ask my Mom about my skillz. =D) But it was actually really fun.
 Inside a grave-house thing.
It was cool, I swear!
This is my zone. 
All of the missionaries serving on the Azores.
 A famous statue in Lisbon. 
Kind of a symbol of our mission.
Down the street from the mission home.
 My new Mission President and Mission Mom. They are from Brazil!
 Azores Zone again.
My toenails that Nuria painted. 
(See PS: at the bottom.)

My Letter Home:

Ola Bom Dia Irmãos e Irmãs! 

I have been thinking a lot this week about how we can magnify our callings as representatives of Jesus Christ. I have made a little list of things we have done in the past week that was, I felt, something that Christ would do. Maybe it didn't lead directly to a baptism, but it felt so good. That special feeling that you can only get when you do something truly as the Savior would do. 

We helped a crippled man get into his taxi. He was in his wheelchair and we helped him get his legs in the car. He was very grateful. We closed him in safe and waved goodbye. I will probably never see him again. 

We went and visited a woman from our ward in the hospital. She is dying from cancer. She looked like she was on her last leg. Really weak and thin. She didn't recognize any of us. We tried to sing a hymn for her but she didn't want it. She kept begging us to take her home. It was heartbreaking. Her mother, who was there, thanked us for coming to visit her. We gave her a picture of Christ, and she got really confused and thought we were there to convert her. She said ´´I already was baptised!´´ haha we knowww sweetie.....=) We hope in some way we brought the spirit to her and her Mom.

We helped an old woman carry her groceries. It was a BIG DEAL because we always offer people help carrying groceries but they never everrr say yes. But this time she did! We were so happy and excited to help her. I had the best feeling. She is a very nice lady, and we always say hi to her now and invite her to church. Maybe someday she will  decide to come. 

One night there was a really old woman in a window. Many times we have taught her younger daughter through the window. This old woman was always lying in a bed. She was very old and sick.  We came there one night and, wanting to surprise the old lady, began to sing ´´How Great Thou Art´´ (Grandioso És Tu) As we were singing, us two missionaries and Paulo Jorge, this dying old woman had such a look of happiness and peace on her face. She knew God was looking out for her, that He had not forgotten her. In that moment I felt the spirit so strong. In that moment, this work was a little bigger.  We touched her heart. We brought her closer to her Savior. That is our calling. I want to feel like that all the time. This work is bigger than me. 

I love you all and I hope you all have a week full of opportunities to serve. It is the best feeling! Dont let it pass you by!

SiStEr BaRrOn

PS. When we were teaching the little girl Nuira's family, I was playing with her trying to keep her busy while her parents were learning and I could not keep her calm so I had an idea! I let her paint my toenails! It was QUITE the nail job, but saved the lesson! lol Sister BARRONNNNNNN that's me!