Sister Barron's Picture

Sister Barron's Picture

Monday, June 15, 2015

WEEK 19- Almost Paradise...I'm Knockin On Heavens Door


Saying goodbye to one of our awesome members named Cedalia. <3 I will miss her!
Rafael and his wife Candida. (Remember the guy who always sounds really angry when he talks but he is really saying things like, "I want to get baptized! " This is him. Rafael!) Candida made us these bracelets. Aren't they so cool! I will miss them. My prayers are with them.

 She made me all three of these bracelets. SKILZ<3
 I ate octopus!!!  
It was actually really good I thought.
This is my new planner! It is in preparation for the 4th of July! An Ode to America! Everyone in the Azores loves America, so it is actually really fun!
This is my last pic of Amial as I boarded the train to head to the airport. I treasure my time in this beautiful city. I hope to see you again. <3
(I actually don't have pictures of my new area yet, there will be plenty of time.)

My letter home:

Hey Everyone!!! 
(My beloved people that read my emails:)

This week was utter chaos, but at the same time it has been one of the most fun weeks of my mission. There has been a lot of change, and as of now I am living on a beautiful island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. The Azores. It is so beyond amazing and the members here are so special. Each one is unique. This week I would like to focus on one member that I have met named Paulo Jorge.

First of all, Mommy and Daddy you don't have to worry about me....because Im pretty sure I am one of the safest Sisters in the Portugal Lisbon Mission. We have a guardian angel with us. Paulo Jorge is an amazing man. He was a baptism of my trainer, Sister Jones, and he has such a solid testimony. He is probably the chillest dude I have met on my mission and here is why: He will literally walk with us all day, into the night, preaching the gospel with us. It is amazing. He says he wishes he could be a missionary and this is the closest he can get. He likes to walk with the Sisters to keep them safe. He is in his 60s, but he looks and acts like he is in his 40s. AND get this: he is a boxer! Literally it is the most amazing thing. He is one of the most amazing people I have met. He comes from such a dark background, a home full of hate and drugs, and he has become such a spiritual leader. I am so priveledged to meet him and know him. Thank you Sister Jones!!!! 

This week was interesting starting in a new area and a new branch. I still don't really know where anything is, but luckily my awesome new comp Sister McChesney knows it all....and Paulo Jorge is also our own personal GPS. It's nice walking with someone who has lived here his whole life. The branch here is so sweet. I think I have already wormed my way into the hearts of the young women of the ward =D. I gave them each a bracelet and BAM I had a ton of fans. They were all hugging me and the little girls were hanging on my legs. Yeahhh, I was very well welcomed:) 

Different things about the island: the accent people have here is BIZARRE! If ya'll could hear it, you would probably think it was French. They have a very heavy French accent. And a lot more people here speak English. But get this: when they speak English it is with the heaviest BOSTON accent you can imagine. What a funny combo! I guess there is some huge Portuguese immigrant base in Boston, Massachusetts? Anyway, it is so beyond funny to hear. I can't explain enough.

This week we had the priveledge to meet a beautiful family from Pakistan. A Mother and her three children. I'm not totally sure why they are here on the Azores, the Dad isn't with them here, but they were sososososo nice to us. They do not speak Portuguese. The teenage daughter knows a little bit of English. But even with the language barriers, we had a total blast with them. We exchanged photos of our families (she said you were all beautiful.....so just know that) and they gave us some interesting food. It was like this sweet noodle stuff that they only eat on special occasions. At one point me and Sister McChesney decided to sing a childrens song to them: Families Can Be Together Forever. (I didn't cry this time haha....Daddy -_-) And the spirit was so special and strong. I know they felt the spirit of our words even if they didn't understand them. In that moment I was amazed and so happy to know that this church is true. It can bless families and bring people from other sides of the world together. They said if we ever come to Pakistan we can stay in their house! Pode ser!

I love you all so much and I love this work so much. I wouldn't trade this time for anything. I have the most stellar comp, a SUPER hard worker! Constance, your daughter is a GEM. She is a baptising machine. 

Until next week! I love you all!

Sister Barron



PS. These flowers are all over the island. Sooo beautiful.