Sister Barron's Picture

Sister Barron's Picture

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Week 1! Missionary Training Center

These are all of the girls in her district.  They will all be serving in Portugal together.
 Aren't they all beauties!
  Visiting the temple. <3 
I love the photo bombing Elder behind the fence. Hehe
Her entire district.

This is her companion while she is at the MTC, Sister Dixon. Quincey adores her and they are loving it!

Sisters Barron and Elliott
MTC Living lol!
Yo!

First letter home:
 Hello everyone! I hope you all are doing well.

My first week here at the Missionary Training Center has been so fun and so crazy! When me and my Grandma drove up to the building, I was at first a little confused because everyone was waving at me like they knew me. Then I realized, OH, they are missionaries ahah. Everyone is so nice and happy all the time. We are all united in this wonderful work and it feels so good. The Spirit here is so strong and inspiring.

The first thing they did was throw us into a Portuguese class. The teacher didn't speak a lick of english to us. They waste no time here at the MTC! I want to practice this language as much as possible so that I can be prepared when the time comes for me to go to Portugal. I will be here for the next six weeks. I am SOOOO glad that I chose to audit a Portuguese class at BYU. It is a huge help, I am miles ahead of the rest of my class. We are all so determined to learn and do our best.

My companion is Sister Dixon. She is from Utah, but she went to BYU Hawaii for a year and a half. She ran cross country for them and is super sporty. The rule is we must stay within sight and sound of each other at all times. That way, we are safe from temptation and we are always safe. I love her so much! I honestly could not ask for a better companion. We are so similar it is crazy! We are both tall, blonde, and super goofy. Everyone in our group, or district, thinks we are twins or something.  =) She helps me stay focused on this great work and keeps me cheerful all day. I am so blessed to be able to be around her all the time. She inspires me.

Our second day here we had to teach our first lesson in Portuguese. WOW, I was so scared. The man we were teaching is named Luis. He just moved here from Portugal and doesn't know any English at all. Luckily he is very patient with us because our Portuguese is NAO BOM (haha no good). Even though we are struggling and it takes a lot of patience, I know it is all worth it when I am able to bear my testimony. I know he feels the spirit of my words and knows they are true. He is very interested in what we have to say! We have already committed him to baptism! He is loving this church.  It is a little different than his past church, he attended the Catholic church as a youth. He had a sister that had died of cancer in his past, and he loved it when we taught him the Plan of Salvation. We told him that he can live with his sister forever! She is not lost! We can all have the opportunity to live with our families forever. He was so happy. I almost teared up. The spirit of this work is real. We have been given an awesome opportunity to do the Lords work on earth! There are so many people out there looking for the truth, and I will be able to teach the people of Portugal. 

I hope you all are having a wonderful week! I hope you enjoy spending time with your families. Do not take it for granted! I already miss my family so much. I know I was called here for a reason. I know this was the right decision for me. I know that this gospel is true. I know that we have something here that everyone is looking for. It is so precious to me. I know God is our loving Heavenly Father. He is the literal father of our spirits! He loves us just as a father would, except infinitely more. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet on the earth today, just like Moses or Abraham of old. I know we receive revelation from God TODAY. I have had revelation! Me!

My testimony in Portuguese....haha get ready for Google translate. It will not be perfect, I promise

Eu sei que este igreja e a igreja de Deus. Eu sei que Joseph Smith e uma profeta de O Senhor. Eu sei que Eu pudo aprender Portuguese com ajuda de Deus. Eu sou grato por minha companiera e O Espirito Santo. Eu sou grato por Jesus Cristo e Sua Expiacao. 

I love you all! Thank you for all your support and love! It really means a lot.

Until next week!

Sister Barron